View Single Post
Old 11 Jul 2011, 02:21 (Ref:2924871)   #2008
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Audi Racer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Would the second turbine (power turbine) drive the generator on it's own, or would it take power from the main turbocharger?

I think this is what Audi Racer is asking about, because I believe that the power turbine is the one that would drive the PTO or whatever to charge the generator.
Yeah that was what i was meaning......A second turbine(that is spun up by the exhaust gases) that runs a generator that creates electricity to charge a battery.......

Technically theres two ways to achieve this.....1....have a hot side only turbo that has a shaft attached to the turbine and drives a generator....and 2.....Have a hot side cold side conventional turbo(and have the cold side force air through a turbine generator) you dont want to feed hot exhaust to an air electrical generator...that = fire

The second idea seems like more weight than the first.

The only way it would work is for it to be fed by the Waste from the first real Turbocharger. theres no other source of exhaust gases.....And that large turbo needs all of the exhaust first and foremost....