View Single Post
Old 12 Jul 2004, 15:35 (Ref:1034322)   #17
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
garcon, I see where you are coming from. If it was a component failure, I doubt it was caused by one individual peak g-load. If it was a carbon component, that is possible... but would have occured much earlier in the part's life, unless there was some strange temperature issue (which has happened before for sure, just ask TGF about Monaco a few years ago...). If it was a metal component it probably was a fatigue issue, it failed after repeatedly being cycled through high and low loadings lap after lap.

Either way, I don't believe that aerodynamics is too good for the available componenet technology... engineers can always devise a more structurally robust part to cope with 100g in corners. Their problem is that stronger parts mean heavier parts, and race engineers hate weight!

In the end, the techinical 'formula' that is F1 is responsible for the speed at which cars travel, as the object of racing is to go as fast as possible given the rules of the game. I hope F1 does something soon to slow the cars down, hopefully whilst making it a bit easier to pass, before one of these big crashes turn out horrible...