View Single Post
Old 14 Mar 2013, 21:23 (Ref:3218537)   #9
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Happy Track Fan View Post
I can seriously see Prototypes and GT cars combined for the larger circuits and separate races for the smaller circuits, and I can also see the Prototypes running on their own at Long Beach and Baltimore and the GT cars running on their own in Detroit and possibly Mosport.

I think the combined series needs to find a place for all of the circuits on both the ALMS and the Grand-Am series. Those circuits have stood behind both series, and now this combined series needs to step up and support ALL of the circuits.
Agreed. I hope they make it at least twelve rounds and send CTSCC, GT3, Pro Mazda (is that IMSA sanctioned anymore?), Lites and such to the circuits that are likely threatened by the unification of schedules. Of course, it won't mean much without the big series, I suspect. For the sake of the circuits, I wish SCCA Pro Racing could draw significantly on standalone weekends like they did in the Trans-Am era.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
As for the name, if you hate it, blame this fan from Florida

http://www.unitedsportscar.com/
I feel bad that Louis' idea has been so roundly dismissed by fans from across the board. He is one of my fellow "centrists", a member of the Midweek Motorsports Listener's Collective and a nice guy. His words really resonate for me. I too have made the pilgrimage to Florida year after year and to have SportsCar racing back under one roof really is a best of both worlds situation. He was excited by unification, hence his inclusion of "United" in the title and he is getting roasted. I don't think he designed the helmet logo, FWIW! Haha!

I think the brand will catch on with the hardcore the same way ALMS and Grand-Am caught on. To future fans United SportsCar Racing will simply mean sports car racing. The true meaning of United will likely be lost on them, but that is irrelevant in the long run. The idea will be to stay united and grow. No problems with the branding, which is likely to change with the inclusion of sponsorship branding.

Chris

Edit: my idea of a likely schedule

24 Hours of Daytona
12 Hours of Sebring
Grand Prix of Long Beach (split races or one of P & PC or GTLM & GTD racing with IndyCar)
Laguna Seca
Detroit
Watkins Glen 6 Hours
Mosport
Indy
Mid-Ohio
Road America
CoTA
Petit Le Mans