View Single Post
Old 31 Jul 2012, 21:19 (Ref:3114417)   #97
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Modern 2 litre era cars will I am sure be mostly originals because the orignal factory panels seldom fitted so I have read and been told, someone was telling me about a tourer they owned (I think it may have been a Cavalier) and they pranged it and tried to fit replacement panels and nothing fitted so who knows what went on! I only mentioned about the originality aspect because of the desire to get original cars in which I think is well nigh on impractical and a decision to let cars like Peter's Capri must be a good one surely.

I remember also being shown a car Chris Randell had meticoulously renovated to bring out in my old ModProd championship, none other than a Luigi Batmobile with cam 3rd in the 24 hr Spa race. Anyhow he proudly showed me the beast and then said sorry Al someone just offered me 60k for the car and there is no way I can bring that out with you guys so I shook the man's hand! Today I see replica Batmobiles at an asking price of 120k so whats that car worth todaym a quarter of a million?? Now ask yourself this would you risk it if you could build a replica and leave the original in the garage. These are unibody saloon cars not space or tube frame cars that can easy be repair, stack em bad and 90% of the car is finished. Its why Penske dropped the road car based IROC Camaros for the tube framed ones that I have and yet oddly enough the early road car based ones which could so easy be replicated seem to be worth more than the tubrframe ones which have to be original, most strange.

BTW its my birthday so I can have a moan, although I am not actually moaning just discussing on a discussion forum lol!