View Single Post
Old 2 Mar 2008, 20:20 (Ref:2142564)   #92
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
It was quite a good piece. The chap reading out the 'edict' in the library re-affirmed why the organisers had a job on to make any changes that might have made running the event a bit easier.

I.E, Can run it for 2 days only, on no other dates, if not making money after 5years it's pulled.

Erm, how many motor race events make money???!!!! Most GP's certainly don't and the Superpirx people probably had to pay Bernie something for the right to host FIA event anyway?!

There was some geezer on local radio the other day who mentioned that the race put the city on the map sporting and commercially wise - for me that was the main point of the event - the PR value.

The International TV coverage, sponsors, some celebs etcc was all good value. I mean Cadbury's and Lucas saw a prime marketing opportunity in sponsoring cars.

However short sighted councillors only have budgets and constituents to think about