View Single Post
Old 23 Apr 2012, 09:02 (Ref:3064091)   #92
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
And I'll tell you another thing I see is all this obsession with data logging and engineers and that blah blah you've got to have it in all these junior formula cars cause that's what they've got in F1. #1, most race engineers I have met don't know a damn thing about driving and all that data is two dimensional because you have to have the context of the whole situation from the person that actually sits in the car. I see a huge over reliance on it and drivers are not developing their own instincts and race craft and the ability to communicate and provide feedback.
I know exactly where you are coming from, I had never used data logging when I was driving, I thought the invention of the electronic tacho was pretty advanced....

Once I started getting into it again with my son, club racing, I was quickly converted to the benefits though. It's like anything else, if you know how to use it and interpret it you can have an edge on car setup and it will give you pointers as to driving technique, where you are fast, where you are slow.

Where it gets really interesting is when you load the data into a home simulator and try things out before even getting to the track.

I take your point though, I think sometimes that there are an awful lot of people staring at screens in the paddock who might not have read the manual, but overall I thinks it's a plus and hasn't raised costs much. The need to have all those engineers may have, but that's a different point.