View Single Post
Old 25 Apr 2012, 13:39 (Ref:3065396)   #95
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hhhmmm... I'm not so sure about that. I think we're overdoing this a little. From my own experience, I've found 'data' and 'data analysis' to be a very helpful aid in improving lap times. I've used the AIM Mychron 4 suite, including Race Studio 2, in karting [without a data engineer]. It's very easy to use. Everything's pretty self explanatory. You can see what you're doing wrong with far greater precision than on feel alone and get ideas on how to correct it. Now I appreciate that the level of set-up and adjustment of the car in the case of a slicks and wings single seater [such as F3] would require a far greater level of expertise - hence the need for an engineer - but as far as dismissing the use of data in relation to improving one's driving... I'm not sure that's the right direction.

If you take a look at this video, you'll see the kind of information you can get from a data trace and get some ideas on how it could be used to improve what you do over a lap.

Video here.