Thread: LM24 2014 Le Mans Legends?
View Single Post
Old 6 Nov 2013, 21:21 (Ref:3328231)   #15
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
I've been brought up to hate the atmo cars. My dad blames them for killing the Group C era. I used to have to throw darts at a picture of a 905....

It's a running joke, but he's half right. No one can argue with the fact the XJR 14 and the 905 are spectacular things to watch over a single lap. Maybe my dad's curses have rubbed off on me, but for me, those kind of cars are the defining image of a golden era which withered away before it needed to.

Those things were F1 cars with covered wheels and a roof. Impressive to watch, prohibitively expensive to run, and largely irrelevant. They weren't endurance racers, and more to the point, they weren't Le Mans cars like the old Group C cars were.

It's hard to believe the difference between 1989 and 1992.

I'd love to see one raced properly though. Marmite they may be, they're still part of the history of the race, and they'd sound brilliant.
I sort of agrees with you, as the cars were a bit "fake", as they where F1 cars "converted" to Le Mans.
However, I'm still fascinated with how advanced they where!
The thing that kills the fascination the era for me, is the 3,5L rule. Le Mans racing should never be limited in that sort of fashion.