Thread: Rumours Active Suspension ....
View Single Post
Old 16 Apr 2014, 17:31 (Ref:3393416)   #7
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
I can see 2017 active suspension again being employed to optimise aero. It depends how far it is allowed to go. To what extent will the system be allowed to dynamically vary ride height, pitch angle, roll angle, etc? It could become a messy can of worms. On the other hand it might allow teams to have a single set of suspension components and to then develop and tune the car via software.
I am of the opinion that once you get the basic system setup (which I assume would roughly be hydraulic or electro-mechanical actuators, sensors, computer and software) that any future development cost is mostly around software. That it would be relatively cheap to do all of the things you mention. I think they will also be able to do things that they couldn't easily do in the 90's such as machine learning (statistical predictive analysis), environmental conditions adaptation, etc. There really is a lot of stuff that can be done.

If they want to use this to control costs, I can imagine it getting it's own ECU (i.e. it can't talk to the engine/transmission and work in coordination) and there being specific regulations around what types of sensors it can use for input. The more they standardize and limit the solution, the more cost savings they may realize, but also frankly the less attractive to me it becomes.

Richard