View Single Post
Old 7 Aug 2002, 15:00 (Ref:352339)   #1
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
just a though on oversized grids

having read the main story in auto action this week I got to thinking about what can actually be done to save drivers from packing up and going home early , simply the answer is nothing ?????

but after a bit something came to me and im not quite sure how it would work but it sounded interesting at the time.

ok so we have 32 spots for cars on the grid and say 45 show up for the weekend , that means 13 cars will have to go home without even getting to race, thats a shame for the drivers, sponsors and spectators alike, so why not have a repocharge race on saturday after qualifying to give the guys a chance of getting in the show ?

ok I hear you say , but they had their chance in qualifying and were to slow , fair enough i agree only the fastest should be in the main races but how about this for something a little different.

run qualifying and the fastest 28 auotmatically qualify for the main races , this leaves 4 remaining spots on the grid, if 45 cars showed up that would leave 15 cars to battle it out for the last 4 places on the grid.

have a race for these guys after qualifying ( not sure on how the grid should go , maybe qualifying order would be best but possibly a card draw would be a bit of fun for the spectators at least) im also not sure on what distance it should be , but it would need to be a reasonably long race to give the guys towards the back a chance to get up the front if they are good enough, the top 4 finishers of this race then qualify for the main races on sunday , the rest having proven sadly that they are not quick enough in qualifying and in race trim then have to pack up and go home , not ideal for them but at least they got to have one race.
get channel 10 to televise the race as well giving the sponsors of these cars some air time and at least pleasing them a little bit and they would be extra happy if their car finished in the top 4 because that would give them more time on TV on sunday.

the whole situation is not ideal I know , but i certainly dont like the idea of pre qualifying and I dont like the idea of it only being 32 cars allowed and the rest can go play in the Konica series , i believe everyone deserves and equal shot at getting into the races and if they fail then they have a chance in the repocharge.

sounds good to me and its only a quick thing ive thought of without alot of thought , but maybe thats one possibility.

anyone else have any ideas on how this problem (which really is a good one to have isnt it?) can be dealt with ?