View Single Post
Old 26 Jun 2012, 13:18 (Ref:3098417)   #2331
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i think it's difficult to get a handle on f1 if you've say, just been called up to do it. it takes years as a regular paddock fixture to get to the kind of knowledge of the ins and outs of the sport that coulthard, brundle and also david croft and jonathan legard do actually have.

but that's why we have an expert commenter alongside the lead commentator.
The level of knowledge that I expect from a lead commentator isn't alot and can be learned in a manner of a few of days from two books. Last years annual and a history of F1. The trade magazines for this year would be good too. Get a broad understanding of the people and the politics which can be complex but within the reach of the literate and certainly possible for someone in the journalistic disciplines. I don't expect intimacy with Norbert Haug or detailed familiarity with every inch of the paddock nor even technical expertise. That can be deferred to the 'expert'. Some of these commentators though just don't reach a very basic minimum or else they are such phenomenal scatterbrains, that the brain gets cut off from the mouth within sight of a live microphone. Maybe it's the latter. In any event, while I generously forgive mistakes, I don't have alot of sympathy for uninformed commentary since these people are supposed to be professionals.