View Single Post
Old 17 Jan 2012, 21:55 (Ref:3013074)   #1468
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
No, MS, i haven't had the privilege of driving VIR. Then again, as informed as you are, you must be familiar with the concept that some stretches of tarmac are excellent for testing, or just for pure driving pleasure, but make for awful racing (unless you're talking about one-at-a-time events).

Given the tightness of the infield, I just don't see it providing good opportunities for racing action with the ALMS cars. The timing is too tight; the straights in that section are too short compared with those on the rest of the lap. The gearing needed for the rest of the lap isn't going to suit the infield section. I could go on, and I don't need to have driven the lap myself to discern these very critical, basic characteristics of a section of track.

Here's a different onboard video, with commentary and telemetry:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BbyXWmISXY

My conclusion is, in short, that the infield doesn't really fit in with the rest of the lap, when you're running the Full Circuit apart from that one section. That doesn't mean that the infield is inherently bad, and those sections work fine when running either the North Circuit or the South Circuit. I just wouldn't choose to run either "Grand" circuit layout, nor would I choose to run the ALMS on either of the shorter circuits.