View Single Post
Old 14 May 2008, 19:11 (Ref:2202420)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Welcome; I hope this is not a wind up! We've tried to define 'classic' without a lot of success. All cars seem to be regarded as classics once they reach a certain age and there are fewer of them about. However, that is not my view; they may be collectable on rarity grounds eventually, but many are not classic. I guess that once Yugos get to a certain age they may become collectable but I don't see them as ever being classics any more than say Allegros, Marinas, Cavaliers, Sierras, Mondeos, Ladas, Moskvitch etc. Sadly, as with other words in the English language, we have grossly misused the word 'classic' in recent years and whilst I try to preach tolerance, I'm frankly fed up with its misuse. If no-one can give me good reason, I'm moving this thread to the Road Car forum within the next 48 hours regardless of the word appearing in the thread title!