View Single Post
Old 13 May 2001, 00:26 (Ref:91654)   #22
smiffy43
Rookie

smiffy43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: How to store a car!?

Quote:
Originally posted by Diabando
Finally, I have reached the point where I am going to take my beautiful HQ Holden off the road, and into storage. It will only be driven once in a blue moon, on a nice weekend, or some such day.

I had great plans to fully detail and clean it up, disconnect the battery, and pop it under a cover in the garage, but now I am hearing horror stories about everything drying up (engine, transmission etc) and the car being unusable if left too long without being driven.

So - what to do?? I need some help! What maintenance is required? What is the best way to store the car? etc etc.

I have recently had a metro 6r4 in storage at the moment and i have done for about a year, make sure you start it up and leave it tick over for about 15 minutes every two weeks or so,or youll b having ceased pistons ect,big pricy jobs other wise.Make sure the car has an oil change before storage and it would be best to preserve the underside of the vehicle in under body sealant to prevent any moisture in the area surrounding damaging the chassis ect.
it would be best to remove all of the wheels and leave the car on axle stands to stop tyres from cracking.all cv boots should be really coated in duck oil or a similar product to prevent cracking.with the battery it would be best to put on a float charge that keeps the battery topped up constantly.I presume by the name of the car its an old one therefore it's an overhead valve or pushrod engine,because i have known cam belst to crack and wear in storage, therefore causing major mechanical malfunction when it snaps.make sure all drain holes in panels are clear of blockages or youll have alot of rust to treat when u come to use i t again.Keep obvious things like locks hinges and catches well lubricated and if you stick to that you should be safe and not sorry.

Hope this was a help

Steve (mechanic)