View Single Post
Old 22 Nov 2005, 23:49 (Ref:1467938)   #81
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Mr Jinxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know, foxy, is the short answer.

I initially understood that it would be as K-B said ... both cars can run in every session, but only one on track at any one time. That would be fantastic in one sense, for every team, as it should effectively double each team's feedback, and give both drivers a shot at getting on the pace/getting the car set up for that circuit. It gives a second driver a good chance to get acclimatised for the rest of the season, without penalising the "established" driver. And it gives both drivers extra feedback and support. So one driver goes out, does 5 laps, comes in to make a change, meanwhile the other driver goes out for his 5 laps, etc. No time wasted, and all the teams (especially the less-experienced ones) would benefit. Great idea.

The only downside I can see to that, is that it would effectively mean that all 25 cars would be on track all the time, and I could see that getting pretty crowded, and rather tricky for the drivers to negotiate past the drivers on their out-laps or slowing down laps. It also increases costs for the teams, of course, in terms of engine mileage, tyres, etc, and cost is a major factor for some teams (except bloody France, of course, after all their prize money!!)

For those reasons, as I last understood matters, I don't think they'll be going for this, which would be a shame, although we can but hope. It would help to close the gap between top teams and the others, I'm sure.