View Single Post
Old 28 Sep 2023, 07:44 (Ref:4178592)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good point re the weight of a zoom compared to a prime lens but I've started using a harness which carries the camera using the lens mount so it's well balanced and easy to swing up when needed. That said if you use a monopod you can just carry it over your shoulder. I've also heard of photographers using hunter's jackets with pouches all over to carry lenses etc.

I do like my F4 L 70-200 (also about 15 years old) which is very light and easy to use. The problems arise when you have to crank up the ISO in night or low light conditions and since, as you say, low light is quite common in these parts, F2.8 is the way to go. Another consideration is the cropped sensor issue. Good for longer lenses, a 70-200 becomes a 85-280mm (approx), but the downside is the shorter lenses such as the 16-35mm struggle to do their job.

At Le Mans last year I used my 100-400 and although some daytime shots were at 400mm (too many really), many of the night time shots were at the 150-200mm mark. That said I could never justify the cost of a 300 or 400mm F2.8 prime lens, even a used one, so I'll stick with the zoom.