View Single Post
Old 12 Sep 2003, 16:04 (Ref:716588)   #43
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
I don't know, why would he start a racing team either? Why would he acquire Trans-Am? Why would Paul Newmann buy a racing team? Why would David Letterman and Bobby Rahal?

Seriously, not being sarcastic, just saying that people don't usually go into racing looking to make money. It doesn't happen that often, and someone who's expecting to hasn't payed attention to their history. Some poeple make money in racing, but most just lose a lot... that's racing, you don't come here if you want to get rich. He may be one of the richest men in racing, but I'm not sure there is an individual that has lost more than the many himself, Cart's sworn enemy, Tony George.
I know where your coming from Jay, love of racing and CART and all that, and while these guys may not want to get rich from racing, they certainly don't want to lose there shirt either. There is a certain reality that has to be faced, you do need to make some money or at least break even to keep the series alive, and all I'm asking is how do they plan to do that using the same format that almost broke the series in the first place?

I guess myself(and Climb I think) were expecting some new and innovative thinking from these new owners, that's all.
But who know's it's really to early to judge them. I 'm just glad they showed up, and hopefully they can turn this thing around so we can stop talking about the business side of CART.