View Single Post
Old 11 Mar 2024, 08:25 (Ref:4200786)   #4
garymakein
Rookie

garymakein should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gerald Makein was my father

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healey3000 View Post
Thanks Gordon - yes, its a great article, both about the foundations of ERS and Royale.

I think I'm going to have to pull a family tree and see if there were any connections between King and Dewar (or the other cars they ran). ERS continued for a few more years (seemingly until the end of '66) and mainly ran Climax engined cars.

Other names that come up are

- Makin (sometimes seemingly spelt Makein)
- W.H.Ramsden
- R.Richardson

Its a great shame that I'm probably asking this question 10 years too late to stand a chance of speaking to the people there at the time.
Alfred Gerald Makein was my Father and yes he did race with Bob Dewar in a pair of sprites with Sebring bonnets, HCC 600 was Bobs and 7796 NX was my dads, bill Ramadan was also part of the team but mainly when they all went rallying, both in the sprites and also my dads Zephyr 2727 MV they did the monte and the tulip and the rat in 61& 62 I am trying to gather some photos from the rest of the family. Bob King was a bit part of their lives and when they moved on to a couple of elites Bob King prepped the engines, 44 Glendale Road was Bob Dewars sweet shop & post office with lock ups at the back.