View Single Post
Old 16 Feb 2014, 13:04 (Ref:3369042)   #512
pec1
Rookie

pec1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Daveyboy you make a good point. The weight of the engine did make the back end very skittish particularly during braking and it would tend to land nose down. The reason it is tail down in the second pic is that it wasn't landing - it was still taking off. That stage is the Curraghs and the approach to those crossroads dips down so you hit the crossing road and the car bounces up. Making pacenotes at 15mph it seemed nothing, on the day it was more exciting.

When I bought the car research into it's history was a couple of phone calls and a rummage through old MN's where I did find some pics. Of course now we have the internet there is more information to be had so using wwwracingsportscars.com and checking the MacMillan family line I have found;
One of Harold MacMillan's grandsons was Hon Adam Julian Robert Macmillan born 1948. He is recorded as driving in 3 races in 1981 and 1982. 2 at Silverstone and 1 at Spa. 2 races in a Capri and 1 in a BMW. His co drivers were
Tom Dodd Noble
Hermes Delbar
Colin Davids
Michael Lavers
The fact that he had co drivers and the car had a long range tank indicated endurance races so checking the 1981 Silverstone Tourist Trophy (13/09/81) there he was! He finished 21st. The car was entered by Noble MacMillan Ltd.
I thought he may have come back to the TT in 1982, and he did but in a BMW so his other Capri race had to be Spa and it was actually pre dating the 1981 TT he raced in the Spa 24 Hours (26/07/81) but retired with gearbox failure. At Spa the car was entered by Holman Blackburn.
Now you guys have got me interested I'm going to try to trace it. I can follow it to 1989 then I think it was broken for spares. The shell was very good so there may be a chance it survives.
For now I have to add it to the list we all have of cars we once owned and regret selling!