View Single Post
Old 4 Dec 2011, 09:45 (Ref:2994978)   #121
F3 Rocks
Racer

Wales
F3 Rocks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Ok so do you really believe he's capable of making an impact in F1?
At the risk of being shot down in flames Yes I do think he is good enough for F1 but your comment was 'capable of making an impact in F1?' thats harder to answer because for me there is only one maybe two drivers capable of making an impact on F1 so to answer your question on 'impact' probably No
To justify myself as to good enough for F1 his results don't always show his true potential. I think given a good car he is as good as half the current F1 drivers. Proven when he was in the same car as Bruno Senna he was quickest every session over two days. In GP2 Asia he beat Senna, Kobayashi, D'Ambrosio, Chandhok, with only Buemi, Grosjean, and Petrov beating him. At that time he was certainly ready for F1 but his backers in Malaysia never came through for him.
To his credit Tony Fernandes saw the potential in Fauzy and gave him a testing role in his new team, but thats all he got he was never developed as an F1 driver and in my opinion suppressed by Gascoyne. Last season he was the stand out 'reserve' driver at LRGP but without backing never got a chance. At the same time he had a disastrous GP2 season for reasons not all down to him.