View Single Post
Old 27 Apr 2004, 07:10 (Ref:953142)   #19
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As far as I can tell it goes something like this:

The original Works Capri was the 2300. This engine was a German "Cologne" engine and was modified by Weslake in Rye. Next came the RS2600 again using the "Cologne" based engine. This suffered from reliability problems and so Peter Ashcroft was sent from Boreham to help resolve the problems. The engines were bored out to around 2.9 litres at this time.

For 1974 it was decided to move into the over 3 litre class and that is when the cars stopped being purely "Cologne" cars. The reason was the engine which was based on the Essex 3 litre V6. Cosworth were given the job of building a 4 valves/cylinder quad cam fuel injected V6 and they came up with the 3.4 litre GAA.

The road cars were built in Halewood. Again a departure from the Cologne factory.

The race cars were still built in Cologne.

Can't find a reference to the actual numbers built but it would make sense because Ford competitions were strapped for cash at the time and so two race cars two spares seems reasonable.

There were also Broadspeed versions of the original Group 2 Capri. They were, I believe, the first to run the "plastic" single leaf rear spring with multi linked suspension.