View Single Post
Old 6 Mar 2011, 03:19 (Ref:2840878)   #64
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
joe's issue doesn't seem to be with change.. more to do with way it's being done. we don't need to go back to the olden days with only 2 tranzam camaros or a couple of bmws and a telstar fighting it out in our top class. porsche, suzuki, mini. etc are all running current models yet are also finding it difficult to get sponsors on board too. apart from online.. i can't say i've ever any spectators complain at a circuit about the current V8s not being the current models. the look, the sound, good racin' and good numbers is what's important! the a couple of cars (no matter what they are) isn't.
I think change can be good, but I agree it's the way it's being done I am a bit leery of and whether than benefits the common good of the sport into the future.

Any series that aims to be "professional" in terms of attracting crowds and sponsors to pay the bills, the ultimate foundation building block is the fan, the person that pays to attend races, patronizes sponsors, watches on tv, tells other people about it/talks about it and so on. Sure there is some business to business dealing out there that funds professional motorsport, but I believe if there is no one out in the general public that gives a rip, you don't have a show to put on.

The old cars, well I dunno. In Argentina they still run 1970's cars in Turrismo Carretera and of course historic motorsport seems to be the only growth in motorsport these days(that should say something). Certainly there is an argument to make that older cars can have staying power. In this case I'd lean towards newer cars, but as you say "the look, the sound, good racin' and good numbers is what's important!".

And if that is important, which for the "fans" I believe it's what has them follow the sport, then I don't know if this approach of dividing then hoping to conquer is going to work. To do so puts faith in collapsing the NZV8 series, which is an established name now after 10 years. Can that be pulled off in such an economy, especially after what happened recently? I'm not convinced.

I wish a better alternative could have been worked out rather than 2 ships setting sail in different directions.