View Single Post
Old 2 May 2010, 19:23 (Ref:2683366)   #32
Fasteddymini
Rookie

Fasteddymini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
help

I guess you marshall at Anglesey and Oulton - in which case you will have seen the XRs which concentrate at both being mainly under BRSCC NW - if so next time you are there, speak with some of the lads in the championship and you may find it is affordable - but you need to set your goals in a realistic way....how much can you afford ? start with how much the ARDS test/medical/licence will cost, then the equipment.... do some research (as you are now doing) and there is usually some second hand stuff for sale...speak to competitors and remember you will have to pay an entry fee (£200-£300 per race) - have you got a trailer ? can you borrow/rent one... then think about consumables like oil and filters, brake pads and fuel for the race car and tow car and finally tyres..the beauty of one make is that they use control tyres and theres usually loads of second hand ones available....but it all goes back to setting your achievable goals within an affordable budget...and remember the second year is cheaper because you will have a car and some equipment. I reckon that you could possibly do a first year of say 4 or 5 races in XRs for less than £5k with a second year of 6 or 7 races for about £3k. Get good at scrounging, begging and borrowing and ask loads of questions and make new friends who own trailers, spanners, old tyres etc etc

There are 3 types of people in motor racing
1. Participants 2. Competitors 3. Winners
Ive spent seasons and seasons being a participant and the last 4 being a competitor and occassional winner - i have been competing since 1970......theres plenty of time...once bitten the bug never stops so be careful what you are getting into.
Good luck and go for it