View Single Post
Old 27 Jun 2014, 18:24 (Ref:3427252)   #694
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Actually, it might be ... if they are going to allow an extra however many minutes for PWC, what about for other series? I am sure other series will want the same freedom, which makes negotiations a lot more tricky.

Also, as I mentioned, no one know how long a red or yellow flag might last. What looks like a simple issue might take a lot longer to fix (Oops, we didn't see the broken barrier ... ) Which means everyone sits around waiting, then waiting more, then nothing. The schedule was screwed, the 12 noon autograph session was cancelled because it would have interfered with other on-track action, fans are angry, merch sales are down ... could have stopped the race on schedule, stayed on schedule, and if there was a long break for repairs, fans and drivers wouldn't have spent it waiting for a restart, only to finally be told "Sorry."

The biggest issue is dead air. Tracks could leave huge gaps in their schedules to allow for long cautions ... but they don't want to. Tracks want fans trapped at the facility, with just enough time to buy vendor food and merchandise and get their hero cards signed before the next event starts. Tracks do not want people thinking "Hmm ... I can make it to Arby's and get back before the next race."

Sure, the schedule could contain some wiggle room ... but some dollars could wiggle free, and tracks (and vendors) need every dollar.
The thing is, that it is not a question of whether race weekend schedules should have some leeway built into them, because they already do.
Schedules have to be somewhat loose because motor racing is inherently unpredictable. In my experience, it is not at all uncommon for practice session and support series start times to be delayed.

As far as all the other support series wanting the same time allowance, if any other series can produce a grid that contains Mclarens, Ferraris, Bentley, Audi R8 LMS, Lamborghinis, Mercedes Gullwing, Dodge Viper, Cadillac CTS plus some really cool GTS cars such as Aston Vantage, Ford Mustang, Nissan 370Z, ZL1 Camaros, Porsche Cayman, etc.
If any other support series can boast such a great field, then they should be allowed a few extra minutes of race time also if needed.