View Single Post
Old 13 Feb 2004, 00:13 (Ref:872607)   #106
NickReeve
Rookie

NickReeve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Kitson
Remember these little Fiat Abarth's with boot lid propped open for cooling? In the ETCC 1966 I think(?)
This was from an Autosport, but until now still in my childhood scrapbook which I am pleased to still have. Photographer unknown.
Out of the hairpin heading down towards the Esses. Visitors to Snetterton Market drive on this piece of tarmac now at the entrance.
Dont remember the year, but I was there! As I recall the race featured an epic scrap between Jochen Rindt in the works GTA Alfa and Sir John Whitmore in the Allan Mann Lotus Cortina. It also slung it down with rain I think. I would have been about 12 or 13 at the time. Later between 1972-74 I marshalled a few clubbies there (I was with the University of East Anglia Motor Club at the time). Generally it beat marshalling road rallies (the Fens at 3 am are very lonely) unless you happened to be at Riches on the first lap of a Formula Ford race. About 20 guys, all thinking they're the next Emerson Fittipaldi and all convinced they have exclusive right over the racing line. Absolute carnage.......