View Single Post
Old 17 May 2012, 22:59 (Ref:3075929)   #383
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
The 944 s2 has the advantage of ABS which may be useful in an endurance race, but my choices would be a 944 turbo - 300bhp is easy and reliable and ituses the huge brakes (and abs) from the 928/911(993)
Having raced a 944 Turbo (tho with "only" 250 bhp) I agree that it makes a good reliable race car - ours was using an untouched 220K mile engine - although after 4 years racing we did have the turbo rebuilt - and our only DNFs were a relay failure, a gear linkage issue, and an air pipe falling off causing chronic misfire....

However our fuel consumption was probably twice what Mike has achieved, and it was certainly noticeable that around Coram for instance a 924 appeared to be easy to drive flat-out, whereas I (at least) was having to balance the power/grip equation all the way...of course using the same set of tyres all season in Future Classics may have contributed to this