View Single Post
Old 30 Nov 2005, 09:16 (Ref:1473694)   #23
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Track Day Ethos

The only reason race tracks run track days is to gain revenue.

As Track Days do not constitute a competitive event they are currently exempt from planning permission.

The problem a lot of tracks have is that they are limited on the number of competitive days they are allowed to operate.

If this block was removed you would probably see more racing dates at all circuits and a lot fewer track days.

I suspect what the general public want to see is close competitive racing. What seems to get the most spectators nowadyas probably isn't. So it is a matter of publicity and education.

One of the best ways that MCD use to attract more spectators was the season pass. After all despite the income being less it did come in a big chunk early in the year plus the season ticket holder would also spend on each visit. When the season ticket was withdrawn I would be more selective in my attendancies at Oulton Park going to the meetings that had previously been the most entertaining.

I suspect the new owners will be very succesful in promoting their portfolio of venues and I wouldn't be surprised if they were to acquire more tracks over the course of the next few years. Motor Sport Vision will I believe turn out to be the best thing that has happened to British Club Racing for decades.