Thread: List 1a tyres
View Single Post
Old 26 May 2006, 22:46 (Ref:1619855)   #6
jonners
Racer

jonners should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Austinspace

My first point is that I do not have a lot of cash for my motorsport.

My second is that - with the greatest of respect - I find it absolutely impossible to agree with what you have said.

I have thought this through over a long period and have discussed the subject with many co competitors and the simple fact is that very few people out there really appreciate what list 1A is all about.

If you are really concerned about saving money and preventing people with more money buying better equipment than you, why don't you lobby for kwik fit exhausts, brake pads and shock absorbers. If you think it through the argument for these items is precisely the same as for the kwik fit tyres you favour.

And 1A can end up costing you money - as it did with me. The tyres in 1A are included in that list by the tyre manufacturers. It is not the MSA who distinguishes between the tyres that are in 1A or 1B. The MSA don't have any input. So when a tyre company decided that a tyre that had been in 1A for years had to come out I had to buy new tyres. Some championships (but not all) now say that a tyre that has been on list 1A in the last few years is ok but I just don't understand why if I don't run 1B tyes I have to run something that's in 1A.

Another example - I thought about competing in a car that has metric wheels - only one tyre fits these wheels but I still thought the car would be fun to compete in even if not massively competitive. No go - the relevant Michelins aren't in list 1A. What has that achieved for anybody??

The cheapest way to make a car faster and safer is to buy the best tyres you can afford. If these are R compound tyres intended for motorsport use, what on earth do you achieve by banning them?

I seriously question whether you really save much money.

And why pick on tyres?? The tyres you use directly affect safety as well as performance. Why not pick on expensive shock absorbers or why not just say that everyone has to compete in the same car as you with a budget that's no bigger than yours????

I think the answer is that tyres are easy to police and list 1A appeals to people who like to check out what equipment other people are using so they can have a really good moan about it.

Sorry - rant over

See you at kwik fit, then......

Last edited by jonners; 26 May 2006 at 22:51.