View Single Post
Old 15 May 2009, 07:32 (Ref:2462783)   #14
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
It would be nice to see the AMR cars up with the deisels but at spa they were some way slower, however the pesco and oreca cars were keeping pace for a fair chunch of that race and those teams are truely privateers. Mr Richards should look at developing and perhaps his cars will be more competative rather than restrict other teams.
If anyone's read the Autosport piece, Richards isn't asking for the diesels to be slowed further, but for the petrol-engined cars to be given a break:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Richards
What I am saying is don't penalise them, but help us. I would like it if the ACO were to say to the petrol teams 'If you want a bigger diameter restrictor, then you can have one.....The danger is, if the ACO don't do anything, teams like AMR and ORECA may not be able to find the sponsorship to come back next year

Is he right? I don't know. Is the gap between the Pugs and Audis and the rest purely because of the diesel to petrol equivalency, or just because they're factory teams racing against privateers. To me, there are two indications we need to see if we're going to decide that- the first is a full-force petrol-engined factory effort at Le Mans (Are you listening Porsche or Acura?), the second is a proper competitive privateer diesel outfit- I reckon the performance of Pescarolo's Pug (and to a lesser extent the Kolles R10s, though I've got doubts about the competence of that effort going on their LMS showing so far...) at Le Mans might go some way to proving the point either way- if Henri's 908 turns out to be five seconds a lap faster than the petrol cars all week, then maybe Richards has a point....