View Single Post
Old 2 Oct 2006, 03:10 (Ref:1724856)   #16
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This might not be the right place for this thread, but I think it brings up some great points.

I'm by no means a hugely experienced driver, but I've been on the roads since 1999. 7 Years of freeway driving and NSW Country roads (the golden highway, putty road and bells line are a must if you want to learn respect for a piece of bitumen) and watching accidents happen mere metres from me have given me a fair eye opener.

MY dad put me through a driving course at Oran Park... I think it was with Luffy's dad? (too long ago to remember). That, coupled with my dad and grandfather beating me with a stick at any chance has definitely given me the tools to be able to drive "better" (I'm not going to label myself a good driver... because I'm sure most of you on here are much better....)

I'm about to finish a degree in teaching, and will soon be a secondary teacher. I've seen plenty of statistics to prove that the Driver Ed in the US that is compulsary in some states is effective in comparison to other states. That with my positive experience ar Oran leads me to agree with what some of you guys have said.

Liberal right wingers will cry that it would cost too much. OK, let's weigh that against continual insurance hikes due to young drivers having bigger accidents? I'm 23, have never been in a prang (touch wood) and yet I have to pay higher costs for some moron in a clubby who's been in 5 or 6? Would this training be worth the potential saving of life that could result from these drivers averting accidents? (I think so...)

Maybe it's just an evil conspiracy theory. Morris Iemma and co don't want to do it because they get too much from speeding and neg driving fines?