View Single Post
Old 2 Oct 2006, 04:22 (Ref:1724877)   #21
jdd
Rookie

Australia
jdd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure where I read them, but a few years ago I saw some statistics that showed young drivers who had attended advanced driving course’s statistically had a higher chance of having serious accidents than similar aged/experienced driver’s who hadn’t. I think the reasoning behind it was that once many drivers who have done an advanced driving course, they believe they can drive faster than they did previously and therefore do so. I’m not sure if these statistics were a valid comparison but it’s yet another dimension to this complex problem.
I don’t think there’s one solution, and while I believe, part of the solution is to limit the cars power to weight ratio for the first few years for new drivers. I don’t believe any state in Aus has effectively done this. Some states have laws about this that are very flawed and really a half hearted approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna05
Sooo, there some food for thought... Maybe we don't have a 90-100 speed limit, but rather insist that our P-Platers only drive 1600CC cars that would stuggle to get past 140k's and will arguably stop with ease due to the weight, and no car stereo systems (or limit them to 2 x 50 wat speakers?).
I don’t believe limiting the engine capacity alone is the answer as almost all new cars of 1600cc or even less are capable of far more than 140km/h. It also doesn’t take a high-powered car or high speed to wipe yourself out.

I think in many cases is the drivers attitude is what’s at fault.