View Single Post
Old 3 Feb 2012, 17:59 (Ref:3021138)   #89
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
When you watch LMP's with the BHF in person you barely notice them after a couple of laps, except on the Audi.
Quote:
AGD, livery can make or break the look of a car as well IMO.
Well, some BHFs are better than others, that's for sure. The Peugeot one was not bad relatively speaking. The Audi one was very obvious and it grabbed my attention everytime I saw it. It looks like the Toyota one will be even worse, but that's probably because of the paint scheme.

The problem is that the Lolas, Orecas, Zyteks, and so forth have what appear to be "tacked on" fins. They look horrible. Really bad. The fins don't fit the design of the cars at all like they did perhaps with the Peugeot. The BHHs won't help either.

As far as getting used to the eyesores, well, I don't know. Maybe I can adjust to the BHHs by themselves, but the fins are just so in your face on most of these cars. Even if I do get used to them, all I have to do is look at a picture of a older race and wonder where things went wrong! A little snip here or there might not change things too much in a vacuum, but all of a sudden these LMPs are looking like Michael Jackson during his later years. Scary!

Quote:
Technologically speaking, tube frame car are of no interest to me, I try to like them in Grand Am but I just can't. I find myself cheering for Audi, Porsche, and Ferrari. That is where we spend all our time on the paddock too, looking at aspirational cars we can drive on the road. LMP's are interesting because they are pushing the envelope of technology.
At the end of the day, looks aren't the most important thing. It can be important in terms of gaining viewers, but it's not the most important thing to me. Even ignoring the looks factor, P2 has some issues. Yeah, the car count is good, but it seems like politically dictated, highly controlled in a chaotic way, fakish Pro-Am racing. It's kind of an ugly situation. It's kind of DPish (even ignoring the looks) to that extent. It may be even worse - from a philosophical perspective of course.

I have really liked P2 in the past and I don't really have a problem with stock block engines (if the definition of "stock" is universal). Cost-capping has potential, but what is and what isn't cost-capped should be defined. It's just the ACO's execution of those ideas that leaves a lot to be desired IMO.