View Single Post
Old 29 Apr 2003, 16:43 (Ref:584012)   #1
crazytrain
Racer

crazytrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PT admits to using traction control from 1994 onwards??

very interesting, and we thought it was only around last year!!!!!

http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_s...39541&hubName=

Tracy confirms traction control use

Associated Press

4/29/2003

WEST ALLIS, Wis. (AP) - CART leader Paul Tracy of Toronto admits he used traction control from 1994 until this year.

He said the illegal driver aid contributed to "terrible racing" at times in the series.

"People were saying there was no traction control," Tracy said at a fan forum Monday night at State Fair Park. "We actually had it, but you weren't allowed to say you had it or you'd get your arm cut off by your team owner and engine supplier."

Teams and manufacturers have accused their rivals for years of using electronic driver aids without admitting to their use themselves. Traction control was legalized last year because it was virtually impossible to detect.

It was eliminated this year when it was deemed unnecessary because Ford Cosworth is the series' sole engine supplier. Tracy said that has enhanced competition and helped the more talented and experienced drivers excel.

"This year you're going to see a lot of passing, you're going to see a lot of action on the track because what they did was take away a lot of the driver aids," Tracy said. "It brings it back more to the driver and car."

This year Tracy became the first driver in CART history to take the first three races of the season. He also is the first to accomplish the feat in American open-wheel racing since Al Unser won the first three races in 1971.

Tracy, who has 22 career victories, is still looking for his first series championship.

When it comes to unifying the two open-wheel series - CART and IRL - Tracy says he doesn't see it happening in his lifetime despite the amount of work done behind the scenes.

"I don't really see, at least from the end of my racing career," explained Tracy. "I don't mean to sound negative or anything, but I've been involved with CART a long time and I've been involved with teams that have been on the inside, both Barry (Green) and (Roger) Penske were very involved in trying to get the two to come back together."

"I think CART is trying to take every step to get back together, to try to work something out with Tony George. And every time things would get close, he would move the ball somewhere else."

"That league was supposed to be for young American drivers, all American-based series, keeping the cost low. Now you've got races overseas and majority of the field is European and Brazilian drivers. It's very frustrating. Maybe it will all come together in the end, but right now I don't see it happening."