Thread: Tech Issue The Sound Of The V6 Turbo PU..
View Single Post
Old 17 Mar 2014, 19:50 (Ref:3381191)   #14
MCWB
Veteran

MCWB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For what it's worth, I think they sounded ok on TV, especially on the onboards. I agree with Will Buxton that they need to work on the mics, but I don't think the sound on TV is much of a problem.

In person, however, they sounded simply dreadful. Kind of like a F3 car, but with a trumpet mute shoved up the exhaust. The V8 Supercars and Porsche Carrera Cup cars were both significantly louder.

I did like not having to wear ear protection (and being able to hear other sounds, as others have already mentioned), but the cars don't sound like they've got anywhere near the grunt and mongrel that they actually do. FWIW the PUs seem very impressive, certainly buckets of torque on tap throughout the rev range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
If the 2014 cars sound anything like this in person then I would be thrilled..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-npEh41xiU
I can assure you that they sound absolutely nothing like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I just hope that trackside, it still has that power to wow. I'm taking my girlfriend to her first Grand Prix this year and I want it to be shocking in some way.
My opinion (shared with everyone I talked to at the track) is that they definitely don't. She might be shocked by the V8-engined RB7 demo car, but not by these things in their current form. If you want shocking, take her to see a Top Fuel car at the drags.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
A quote from Martin Brundle..

I like the sound of the new engines there just not enough of it, turbos strangle it. 'Noses' and 'noise' on the to-do list for 2015 please.
I think Martin has it spot on. Something less ear-bleeding than the V8s or V10s is certainly a welcome change, but on the other hand it would be good if it actually sounded like it had some grunt!