View Single Post
Old 21 May 2001, 14:19 (Ref:94807)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We were at the race. It was a horrible wreck - there were 3 cars involved but fortunately the third driver was not injured. The cars were shrouded on the breakdown trucks, which instantly told us that something was amiss - they had to get a cutting torch to get Gary out of his car, and he is in the hospital with spinal cord injuries but is still listed as critical condition but conscious and alert. There were pictures of the cars in today's paper and they were shredded.

But a little bit of better news - a Panoz hit the wall hard in testing, and the guy was wearing the HANS device and was only shaken up by the accident, when it would have been much worse if he had not been wearing it. So although motor racing is still dangerous, it is not so dangerous as it was.....

I have the autographs of both men, and Gary was sweet and friendly, and Mike and i had a chat about whether the new track configuration was better than the old one ... he said "Well the old one was bumpy and it made your car go off, and the new one is very smooth and makes your car go off!") and then he laughed.

Another driver I have chatted up just before he was killed. I hate that. But anyway I remember them both as charming guys and they were very fan-friendly as all the Trans Am guys were. God bless the race drivers, one and all.