View Single Post
Old 14 Apr 2012, 02:42 (Ref:3058714)   #107
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
There isn't a good solution here.

If you do the time breakdown by class, the guys in the lower classes will harp on the FACT that they turned faster times, and demand to know why they're being put to the back anyway.

And it's not like the fans are going to get a better show. If they set things by class, the GT, LMPC, LMP2, and LMP1 runners don't really have a reason to go out and risk their cars and drivers in those conditions, because they'll be starting up front anyway. If you set things based on overall times, the guys still wouldn't have gone out, because it was getting wetter, so they were guaranteed to set slower times than the GTCs.

And if several of the cars incurred real damage by being told that they had to go out and qualify in those worsening conditions, that could reduce the grid and punish the fans on race day with a smaller field.

Also, with this many classes, I wouldn't want a hugely mixed up starting grid on a street circuit. I would probably be relatively okay with it, if it was just two classes, and they were both either GTs or both LMPs. With the speed differentials in play with the classes we have though, I just don't want that much potential for desperate divebomb maneuvers right off the bat, from LMP drivers who are determined to lose as little time as possible getting to the front.