View Single Post
Old 23 May 2001, 22:54 (Ref:95741)   #1
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The greatest road

What's the greatest road you've driven on??

I know this topic must've come up by now a hundred times, but I'm usually wary of venturing outside the F1 and Gravel Trap forums!! (dunno why!)

Is there a great road near you down which you love to thrash?? Is there a particularly memorable drive from being on holiday, or something?? Have you ever driven to find a specific peice of road?? What makes it special?? The scenery?? The twists and turns?? The feeling of being FREE!!

Near me there's an absolutly cracking road between Norwich and Stoke Holy Cross. EVERY corner you could ever possibly want including the most amazing corner, a double apex left into a right through a compression, a bit like Eau Rouge with a kink over a bridge in the middle. Mad, as you can often take it on the wrondg side of the line.

In terms of scenery and ****-your-pants scary: the Furka pass Switzerland. At the end of one of the many hairpins is a glacier. You could literally stop, walk three paces, lean and TOUCH it!! On the way down the eastern side, there's a drop of many many hundereds of feet off to the right. Your crash protection. Every tenth meter... a stick. In a right hand drive car, UTTERLY terrifying! On locked brake on a bit of gravel and over you go!!