View Single Post
Old 24 May 2001, 11:56 (Ref:95947)   #7
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yarramundi Bridge... that's at Agnes Banks, right?

Did you know that the main part of the climb on this road was the Hawkesbury Hillclimb in the early fifties, where Jack Brabham made his road racing debut, but got canned after winning because he didn't have four wheel brakes on his midget?

Lemme see... what other ones were there? Yes, I'm sure the corner you're talking about, Bald Hills, is the one I mentioned... Think theres two houses at that point, and the road has been eased more onto 'my line' in the past decade... other changes have taken place, but at a more distant time... you know how, heading south, just before Orangeville, where you dive down a hill and sweep right into one of the little 'foxholes' I mentioned? That used to be a 90 degree bend, but it was eased about 1978.

Really though, apart from through Silverdale itself, little has changed. Coming north, the two-part left past the Silverdale Progress hall used to be a real doosy, required a late, wide entry from a fairly blind position, but was no problem if you'd sussed it out looking ahead from up the hill further. Went through there once at about 90mph in an A9X...

Really, though, I think it's most worthwhile taking the drive well past Bilpin on Bell's Line of Road... lots of good territory there... and apart from the Wiseman's Ferry Road, there's the Old Northern Road out of Dural (up to Dural has been destroyed...), and the other side there's an interesting dirt road from the Ferry back to the Putty Road (another worth a drive!) near Blaxlands Ridge Rd...

The list goes on... Werombi through Theresa Pk and Cobbity used to be my way to Oran Pk.... as good as the day at the races, that drive...