View Single Post
Old 25 May 2001, 14:23 (Ref:96501)   #19
Hans.ca
Racer

Hans.ca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bella and Tristan.
The Costa Brava road I'm talking about starts north east of Barcelona at Malgrat and follows the sea untill it swings inland at Palamos. The biggest town on this strech is San Feliu de Guixols. We drove it on the way from Gibraltar to Monaco. It is about 1.5 lanes wide, follows the sea shore up and down and in and out. About every 20 meters there is a rock 5 or 6 inches in dia. painted white. No guard rails no shoulder. Most of the time they don't bother to haul out the cars that miss the road. Sometimes there is a vertical drop of 200 meters and other times you are level with the sea. A wonderfull road, worth going to Spain for.
To my knowledge the Costa Brava is still located between Barcelona and Narbonne. Please let me know if they moved it.
Two of us are driving this road, I in a VW 1600 and my fellow photographer, Monty from Florida, in a Mini Cooper. Most of the time in first or second gear flat out. I was in front , Monty followed. As we raced along I drove into a blind corner hard in first gear and there was a Lincoln Continental parked in the middle. I managed to stop and so did Monty. The driver was a young women, she was crying because the corner was so tight she could not get the big car around it. We managed to back our cars into a passing spot, walked back and together we managed to get the Lincoln around the corner. The driver was the wife of and American that was wintering in the area and he had told her to go out and explore some of the roads. We recommended that she take the first road to the main highway and she agreed to do that.