View Single Post
Old 24 Jan 2012, 21:44 (Ref:3016453)   #168
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanup View Post
If true, will be very interesting but is this scenario more likely to happen more often? There are quite a few quality drivers that have done 2 or more years in GP2 with possible F1 opportunities but alas, are put into the ever increasing F1 waiting room. WSR is commercially the best place for veteran GP2 drivers unless crazy wealthy, then do a Maldanado, 4th time lucky then buy your way in and push out the talent. Be great to see Bianchi and Bird in WSR, clever move.
Ok, so we are aware that you are not a great fan of Pastor Maldonado!

One cannot argue the fact that he was a race winner and title contender in Formula Renault 2.0 and 3.5 prior to GP2 and was a front runner every season in that until he won it so regardless of how much backing he has had, he is a good enough driver, and still very much maturing in my view. (Yes, I hear you say, he jolly well needs to!!)

FR 3.5 is probably going to be the best place for any aspiring F1 driver coming out of the level below (no matter whether they have done GP2 already or not) mainly because of what the whole package will cost relative to GP2.

It seems the only thing really going for GP2 at present is its presence on the GP support bill and the time it gives drivers on F1 circuits.

FR 3.5 however, will now be a lot closer to GP2 performance....

It might be easy for us to say in light of the Bianchi situation but maybe this is a perfectly logical direction we will be seeing unless/until GP2 budgets are revised - something I can't see happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrogothicus View Post
Doesn't that run the risk of FR3.5 being turned into a GP2 waiting room?
In a way this is what it was until about 3 years ago when Red Bull's guys wereb't put in GP2 anymore and started to take over 3.5....

With GP2 frontrunner like Bianchi coming in, it can't really be a GP2 waiting room anymore can it?

Last edited by chunterer; 25 Jan 2012 at 09:38.