View Single Post
Old 1 Jan 2008, 18:35 (Ref:2097676)   #2
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickyard
Hello,

Happy New Year to all of you.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think we don't have yet a thread about this racing model, as we have for the BMW 635CSi and the Rover SD1.

So, let's start. Firts one question: how many of those cars were raced in fact.

here in Portugal, at least 4 maybe five cars did run in our Touring Car Championship, the first one in late 1988 or early 1989.

Any coments, photos, etc...?

Regards
Luis Mateus
This one could be quite a challenge, as there were a lot of them around...

I'll kick off with the BTCC Cosworth/RS500 entries, year-by-year:

• Andy Rouse/ICS- 2 cars, one a full-season entry for Pete Hall, the other in selected races for Rouse and Win Percy. Both started as Cosworths, but were upgraded to RS500 late-season
  • Graham Goode- one Listerine-backed car for most of the season- it was heavily damaged in either a race of test accident late in the year and missed the last couple of rounds
There were also a number of Production Saloon Cosworths that appeared in a few BTCC rounds-
  • Mike Smith's Mobil-backed car,
  • the Arquati-sponsored cars of Jerry Mahony (prepared by Roger Dowson) and Robb Gravett (prepared by Graham Hathaway),
  • Dave Morgan's TCCS Racing car- there may have been others
  • Finally, Rex Muldoon in an Auto Parts International-entered car, (either a Prodsaloon or a Group A rallycar) appeared in the last round at Silverstone

1988- things really kick off, with at least a dozen RS500s appearing:
  • Andy Rouse- 4 cars- 2 Kaliber-backed cars for Rouse and Guy Edwards, plus an ICS- sponsored car for Pete Hall, (who stood down in favour of Robb Gravett and Mark Hales later in the year) and a CAM Shipping-sponsored car for Lawrence Bristow
  • Graham Goode- 2 cars for Goode (Listerine-sponsored) and Mike Newman
  • Asquith Autosport-1 Duckhams-backed car for Karl Jones
  • Terry Drury Racing- 1 car for Tim Harvey
  • Roger Dowson- 1 Arquati-sponsored car for Jerry Mahony
I think these were the full-season entries, but several other cars appeared:
  • Eggenberger- a single Eggenberger/Texaco ETCC car appeared in a few races for Steve Soper and Gianfranco Brancatelli
  • Brooklyn Motorsport- one car for Chris Hodgetts late-season after his split with the MIL Toyota Supra squad
  • CC Motorsport- one car for Bob Sands in the early rounds until sponsorship ran out
  • Graham Hathaway Racing- one car for Hathaway for much of the season- Rob Wilson also appeared in it at least once
  • Brodie-Brittain Racing- a single car for Dave Brodie in a few late-season races
  • ECM Vehicle Delivery- a single, road-legal(!) car shared by Tom Bell and Ray MacDowell- they also used the car in club racing and Thundersaloons as I remember and appeared at a number of BTCC rounds
  • I think there was at least one overseas RS500 that appeared in an early season round at Silverstone- maybe Kaj Bornebusch's ETCC car
I'll look out the 1989 and 1990 details shortly

Last edited by KA; 1 Jan 2008 at 18:38.