View Single Post
Old 2 Jan 2008, 16:25 (Ref:2098109)   #10
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA
I was at the TT and remember it well- in term of speed, neither Rouse or Eggenberger appeared to have any answer to the Johnson car that day. As I remember the pre-race previews in the press hadn't regarded them as a particularly serious contender- I think the predictions had been that they'd be pretty quick in qualifying, maybe 'best of the rest' after the Eggenberger and Rouse cars but that was about it. OK, memory can be a bit hazy when looking back over nearly 20 years, the impression I've still got in my mind was that they didn't just lead the early part of the race, but dominate it- the lead seemed to be extending almost every lap....

It's a real pity about the problems they had (wasn't it something overheating related?) because I think we may have seen an even bigger upset to the predicted formbook than Rouse's eventual win. As I remember, Johnson did do a fair amount of damage to the lap record though
The appearance of Johnson & Bowe had created abit of buzz locally down here as well, infact at one stage it was mentioned Channel 7 were going to show the TT live down here, though unsuprisingly that didn't materialise (was there any live TV of the event, or just the Hay-Fisher post produced footage?)

There were mutterings locally as well that in 1989 Johnson & Bowe would return to drive together in the second Trackstar Sierra at the Donnington 1-hour race, though again that didn't eventuate.

Tomas Mezera ran the odd round in 1990 in the Labatts Sierra's (Donnington partnering Lawrence Bristow, then a run at Brands wasn't it), how did he secure that drive?