View Single Post
Old 30 Nov 2013, 21:13 (Ref:3338740)   #158
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Toyota got lucky there--imagine if that thing went into the radiator intake--at best, it might have caused an overheating issue (clogged intake), or at worst, it could've damaged the radiator/oil cooler.

Of course, luck is something that TMG have lacked all year to this point, and seeing how he's matured as a racer and a personality at the track, as much as I root for Audi over Toyota, I'm glad to see Ant finally get a win at Toyota, especially after Shanghai.

And horrible attrition today--Toyota had two of their engines get destroyed/busted, and the Audi that was in the best position to challenge had what sounds like a carbon copy of the differential failure that they had at Silverstone in '10.

Thankfully, both Audi and Toyota waited until Bahrain to start breaking stuff in a big way, not that Toyota hasn't been the victim of such issues enough this year already (hybrid system at Spa, suspension failure at Shanghai).

I wonder if these were freak failures or a deal of Audi and TMG having a sale, cleaning out their '13 inventory, and deciding that everything must go. But with no buyers, they waived the "you break it, you buy it" policy for themselves (and Rebellion in the case of Toyota)

Of course, these phenomenal cars are now obsolescent because of the new rules for next year. The sprint spec Audi R18 e-tron quattros and Toyota TS030s are probably going to be mothballed at Inglostadt and Cologne, with the LM cars coming out occasionally to do demo runs at things like the Goodwood Festival of Speed or other events that Audi and Toyota/TMG will put on. Or in the case of Audi, the LM winning R18s will be on exhibit at the Museum Mobile in Inglostadt.

It's an end of an era. Hopefully the new cars will be just as interesting to watch and see develop and race.