View Single Post
Old 9 Mar 2024, 14:24 (Ref:4200594)   #14
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
I may have been born in 1952 but reading this thread has made me feel young . World gone mad , bloody computers , clueless young people and the rest.

Yes, modern headlamps can be a bit brighter than on a Ford Anglia but you can now actually see where you're going and the DRLs we have now are easily visible - rather more than the soft yellow glimmer you got from the Lucas sidelamps on the trusty Austin 1800..
True enough but there seem to be many drivers who think that the night brightness of the DRLs means they have their dipped beams on - especially if they thought they had Auto headlights active and have a well lit up digital dash.

As for headlight level adjustments - I agree with Bob to a large degree but I suspect that any vehicles with adjustment controls that are not fully self-levelling are predisposed to people not realising they have the control available, not knowing what the settings are for and not realising that the last time they cleaned the car they accidentally changed the position of the dial.

On the other hand, I tend to support the use of the DRLs, even in what we call "daytime light" in this country. Not least because there are so many blacked out cars around that something approaching out of deep shadow can be almost invisible, which may be especially challenging at T-Junctions and crossroads.