Thread: Lewen's Tracks
View Single Post
Old 5 Apr 2012, 10:42 (Ref:3053988)   #1
Lewjen
Rookie

Lewjen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lewen's Tracks

Hello all! I'm quite keen on designing tracks (just putting ideas I have into GIMP and seeing how they turn out), but I don't think I take it as 'seriously' as many people on here would appear to. I just like to take an idea I have and draw it in GIMP (yes I know, GIMP is hardly proffessional but I did consider using Sketch-up... but it's so damn complicated). I also have a little key: the green is the background surface the track is on, yellow is the gravel traps, and red is the grand stands.
My first circuit is Sprutten Circuit. This is a fairly high speed track with a few overtaking opportunities.
T1 - Turn one is apporached at the end of the longest straight on the track, and is taken after a small dab of the brakes.
T2 - On the apporach to turn two, the track starts to climb slightly. Turn two is just about flat out, and is followed by a 'non-corner' that is easily flat out. The track continues to climb slightly.
T3 - The track climbs more steeply on the apporach to turn 3, but crests at the apex. The track falls fairly sharply at the exit. Turn 3 is the first proper overtaking spot as it is apporached at high speed, and required heavy braking to slow the car sufficiently.
T4 - The track flattens on the approach to turn 4. Turn 4 is a medium speed corner, and is apporached flat out but the driver needs to lift in order to not run wide.
T5 - Turn 5 is considerably slower and requires some sharp braking, and so is the next overtaking opportunity. It is also slightly cambered, due to a very meandering river that used to occupy that space of land.
T6 - The long apporach to turn 6 is slightly downhill, and by the time the drivers hit the braking spot the cars should be reaching a speed similar to that of the apporach to T1. This is the next overtaking spot, as it requires sharp braking and has an approach which provokes cars to slipstream.
T7 & 8 - The apporach to turn 7 is flat. Turn 7 is extremely fast, being flat out after a very long straight. However, turn 7 requires drivers to brake at the apex in order to slow the car sufficiently for turn 8. Very easy to lock a brake, and would probably see a lot of drivers chucking it off the track, especially in the wet. turn 8 is easily negotiated once braking during turn 7 is sorted.
T9 - Turn 9 is flat out and is used as an acceleration zone for turn 10.
T10 - Turn 10 is sharper than it initially looks, and presents another ovetaking spot. It requires hard braking, and is slightly cambered due to the aforementioned river.
T11 & T12 - Turn 11 requires a small lift from the front running cars, perhaps more from the other teams. A medium length straight then sets the drivers up for turn 12 which is taken flat out.
T13 - Turn 13 requires some braking, and a particularly brave driver may be able to use it as an overtaking spot.
T14 - Turn 14 is a small turn left, a kink. The drivers jump over the apex kerb in order to straight line their apporach to turn 15.
Turn 15 - A small amount of braking is required for turn 15. Very tricky to negotiate, as the corner is slightly off camber.

Wahey! I hope my first track isn't too bad! Thanks for looking! (I have attatched a coloured and non-coloured version depending on people's preference).
Attached Thumbnails
SpruttenCircuit.jpg   SpruttenCircuit2.jpg