Old 16 Jan 2014, 22:57 (Ref:3354962)   #76
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i'd love to know of some big name german drivers who actually want to do dtm but who are being ignored because they'd prefer to go for the younger guys. right now, germany doesn't actually have any big young talents (unless i'm being really dumb). whose fault is that??
It's the manufacturers fault, because they don't to push more homegrown drivers. Hell, BMW has even sent Dirk Werner away from DTM for 2014. As for other German talents: We have Daniel Abt, Sven Müller or Lucas Wolf. That's not really much, so there is something going wrong with pushing upcoming German talents. But then there are also GT and Touring Car veterans like Jörg Müller, Dirk Müller, Lucas Luhr, Markus Winkelhock, Christopher Mies, Christopher Haase, Luca Ludwig and many more. So in my opinion, it's really the fault of the manufacturers, because they don't want to push more native drivers.

Good examples would be the V8 Supercars or the NASCAR Sprint Cup, where the grid are relatively homogenous in nationality and both series are huge successes.

Quote:
the thing is, guys like nico and antonio felix da costa, like it or not, are the future of motorsport. it's a real coup for the series that these two guys have ended up there. they need to be quicker than f1 in realising that the shape of the series has changed and make the most of it.
If they're the future of motorsport, then they should go somewhere else like IndyCar or WEC. It's like those Gypsies from Romania or Bulgaria. They all seem to want to go to Germany. But why? Germany ain't that rich and DTM ain't gonna guarantee them a career in F1. Christjian Albers and Paul di Resta have only been the exception to the rule that the DTM is pretty much a career grave for aspiring open-wheel drivers.

Also, "future of motorsport" or not, I'm pretty sure that the average German racing fan doesn't care about these drivers and if he doesn't care about them, he won't buy tickets for races or watch DTM on TV. So unless these billywhatstheirnames start marketing themselves to the German audience, I highly doubt that DTM will ever be a meaningful series. Instead, it'll always a manufacturer-financed commercial.