View Single Post
Old 17 Jan 2014, 17:20 (Ref:3355250)   #87
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Is it wrong for a driver to see DTM as a career destination with no thoughts beyond that? I wouldn't have thought so - it's a professional championship and offers paid drives so it's an attractive option (especially as some of the drivers have reached a point where their single seater career has stalled - usually for lack of finance to take the next step). I think the DTM grid is generally well balanced - they've got less of the ex-F1 drivers at the moment so maybe the big draw for Joe Public is missing but on the whole the drivers are a good mix of series veterans and young guns.
it's a career destination with a lot of young drivers who now have one eye on f1 and another on dtm. but more often than not you don't stay in f1 until you retire, and i don't think anyone's really expecting to stay in dtm for a decade either. it's only really ferrari in f1 that offers the same "job security" as being a factory dtm driver. it's absolutely one of the top opportunities out there. i'd go as far as saying that the audi factory drives in dtm and lmp1 are the holy grail, second to absolutely none.

and it's that reason why i can't stand the negative attitude towards the youngsters who ARE making it into the dtm fold. these guys are outrageously good at what they do. it's a thing of pride that they're more keen on dtm than they are on f1 nowadays.