View Single Post
Old 19 Aug 2011, 07:20 (Ref:2942815)   #15
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFanNo1 View Post
Biggest problem with Camaro Cup is the pathetic racelength, 9 times out of 10 you get 1 green lap then safetycar, you then get a restart and at best 3-4 more green laps after that before the race is over. They usually only run 10-13 laps, with a feild of 33 cars they should run twice the length so we can actually see some racing.
No argument there, but then again, the same can be said for STCC and WTCC as well. I hope TTA is looking at longer races that perhaps include pit stops rather than this silly "sprint race craze" we've had to suffer for years now just because some TV networks decided it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pettersson View Post
I haven't heard or read many people in Sweden saying good things about the racing in DTM lately, and it's not even broadcasted on Swedish TV this season. But still, Swedes tend to think that DTM-style cars is God's gift to motorsport and that's what everyone wants to see, and not the "taxi cars" used in STCC today. The TTA car is really what the drivers want to race, and the teams like it since the cars are ready and all they can focus on is setups, no expensive development. Will be interesting to see what the spectators think.
I think both have its issues; in DTM the cars look fast and they are fast, which makes it more exciting and fun to watch. However, the DTM regs have gone completely overboard when it comes to the aero, making the cars hard to race with. Not to mention they seem to break even from the slightest contact or loose vital aerodynamic winglets and what have you that make the cars even harder to drive.

The "taxi cars", on the other hand, tend to offer closer racing but wow do they look slow or what? Where's the excitement? Where's the feeling that when you're watching a driver you can just tell he's on the ragged edge, wrestling his car through the corners and really driving it? Now now, I'm not saying the S2000 drivers aren't driving hard, because I know they are, but you sure can't tell from the outside for the most part because it just looks so... slow. I suppose all the FWD cars lessen the spectacle as well. Real race cars use RWD

Quote:
Rumors says the Carl-Philip Bernadotte will drive in TTA, but there goes the "elite" from that championship
So name one single championship that consists of only "elite" drivers?

Not even Formula 1 or MotoGP qualify.

Quote:
I feel sorry for the way motorsport on top level in Sweden has taken. And now there's a sandbox "war" between the two parts. It's typically Swedish, once we have a good thing going, our ego will make us think we're bigger and can do things like other, larger series or markets, has failed to do (V8 Star another example) or can do (V8 Supercars, DTM, NASCAR). But in the end we're just a small country in an offside sparsely populated region of the world, with a small market for car manufacturers. Let's just hope things work out in the next couple of years, but with an uncertain financial climate in the coming years, 2 large racing leagues might be too big for tiny Sweden. I really hope I'm wrong and has to eat it up in 2013 or 2014!
Couldn't agree more. As for V8 Star, I think one of the main problems was that the cars, much like the current S2000 cars, did look very fast - it simply wasn't very exciting to watch. And it's my personal belief the "Excitement Factor" is a very important one to grab the attention of the casual fan, the masses. Don't fool yourselves that the majority of the fans in the stands are diehard fans, like us here at motorsports forums like this. Because they aren't and if you can't appeal to them they might just as well decide to repaint their garage on Sunday rather than care about a race.