Thread: 107% Rule
View Single Post
Old 15 Apr 2002, 16:17 (Ref:261240)   #21
Mark F1
Racer

Mark F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It makes me laugh now that drivers such as Kimi Raikkonen and Jenson Button were put on probation at the start of there F1 careers and a so called "driver" in Alex Yoong, who has no proven record in F3, F3000 etc, can come into F1 with his cash and just buy a seat at a team.

It is a shame that money is sometimes more important than talent.

When you think about it, Imola isn't exactly the longest circuit in terms of lap times but Yoong was SIX seconds off of pole. In the first sector, which is about 23-24 seconds long, he was losing almost TWO seconds. Now that really is very bad. Yoong apparently said that he lacked any real dry weather running, but I have just checked all the practice sessions and qualifying and if you discount Friday because of the rain, he still managed to complete 44 dry laps in Saturday morning practice and qualifying. If he had been allowed to race, he would have been lapped every 14 or 15 laps, which is why the stewards were totally right in not allowing him into the race.

One thing that made me laugh though. When Martin Brundle was doing his gird walk on ITV's F1 coverage, he said "Yoong will be on a three stop strategy today - Heathrow, Dubai and Kuala Lumpar !!!!!!!!!