Thread: F1 2012 style.
View Single Post
Old 8 Jun 2012, 01:37 (Ref:3087264)   #3
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Interesting question, Mr V!

While I like the variety, I would like it better if the tyres were more of the "control" variety, such as the Goodyears were back in the day. I think that would take a good bit of the engineering out of the game and put more back in the hands of the drivers. All of this business of having 25C "windows" of optimal performance or tyres "falling off the cliff" is perhaps giving us "exciting" races but is the best car or driver actually winning?

My feeling is that all of the scheming/strategizing going on that results in cars not even going out for Qualie 3 in order to "save" tyres makes perfect sense based on the realities of the tyres but does not allow the drivers to "race."

Back in the day we often saw drivers nursing cars along with various ailments or experienced high retirement rates. We often could not see the best drivers going toe-to-toe for simple reasons of reliability. We now have an era where the cars are fast and super-reliable, and yet we don't let the drivers race as intensely as the cars will allow.

My two cents, anyway.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.